Lymond Chronicles
Würden Sie gerne auf diese Nachricht reagieren? Erstellen Sie einen Account in wenigen Klicks oder loggen Sie sich ein, um fortzufahren.

Lymond Chronicles

Diskussionsrunde für Lymond-Fans

StartseiteStartseite  Neueste BilderNeueste Bilder  AnmeldenAnmelden  LoginLogin  

Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster

Nach unten 
AutorNachricht
Elkie

Anzahl der Beiträge : 258

Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster Empty
BeitragThema: Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster   Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster I_icon_minitimeFr 04 Apr 2008, 15:03

Lymond hielt ja große Stücke auf den Lehrer und Philippa wurde von ihm ja auch ausgebildet. Ich hab folgendes gefunden (aber noch nicht gelesen)

vorab der Link: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/AscScho.html
Zitat :
Ascham, Roger, 1515-1568 . The Scholemaster / Roger Ascham
Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia Library

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE

SCHOLEMASTER

Or plaine and perfite way of teachyng children, to vnderstand, write, and
speake, the Latin tong, but specially purposed for the priuate brynging vp of youth in Ientle-
men and Noble mens houses, and commodious also for all such, as haue forgot the Latin
tonge, and would, by themselues, without a Scholemaster, in short tyme, and with small paines, recouer a
sufficient habilitie, to vnderstand, write, and speake Latin.

By
Roger Ascham.

An. 1570.

AT LONDON.

Printed by Iohn Daye, dwelling
ouer Aldersgate.

Cum Gratia & Priuilegio Regiæ Maiestatis,
per Decennium.

To the honorable Sir William

Cecill Knight, principall Secretarie to

the Quenes most excellent Maiestie.

SOndry and reasonable be the causes why learned men haue vsed to offer and dedicate such workes as they put abrode, to some such personage as they thinke fittest, either in respect of abilitie of defense, or skill for iugement, or priuate regard of kindenesse and dutie. Euery one of those considerations, Syr, moue me of right to offer this my late husbands M. Aschams worke vnto you. For well remembryng how much all good learnyng oweth vnto you for defense therof, as the Vniuersitie of Cambrige, of which my said late husband was a member, haue in chosing you their worthy Chaunceller acknowledged, and how happily you haue spent your
time in such studies & caried the vse therof to the right ende, to the good seruice of the Quenes Maiestie and your contrey to all our benefites, thyrdly how much my sayd husband was many wayes bound vnto you, and how gladly and comfortably he vsed in hys lyfe to recognise and report your goodnesse toward hym, leauyng with me then hys poore widow and a great sort of orphanes a good comfort in the hope of your good continuance, which I haue truly found to me and myne, and therfore do duely and dayly pray for you and
yours: I could not finde any man for whose name this booke was more agreable for hope [of] protection, more mete for submission to iudgement, nor more due for respect of worthynesse of your part and
thankefulnesse of my husbandes and myne. Good I trust it shall do, as I am put in great hope by many very well learned that can well iudge therof. Mete therefore I compt it that such good as my husband was able to doe and leaue to the common weale, it should be receiued vnder your name, and that the world should owe thanke
therof to you, to whom my husband the authour of it was for good receyued of you, most dutiefully bounden. And so besechyng you, to take on you the defense of this booke, to auaunce the good that may come of it by your allowance and furtherance to publike vse and benefite, and to accept the thankefull recognition of me and my poore children, trustyng of the continuance of your good meorie of M. Ascham and his, and dayly commendyng the prosperous estate of you and yours to God whom you serue and whoes you are, I rest to trouble you.

Your humble Margaret
Ascham.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Præface to the
Reader.

WHen the great plage was at London, the yeare 1563. the Quenes Maiestie Queene Elizabeth, lay at her Castle of Windsore: Where, vpon the 10. day of December, it fortuned, that in Sir William Cicells chamber, hir Highnesse Principall Secretarie, there dined togither these personages, M. Secretarie him selfe, Syr William Peter, Syr J. Mason, D. Wotton, Syr Richard Sackuille Treasurer of the Exchecker, Syr Walter Mildmaye Chauncellor of the Exchecker, M. Haddon Master of Requestes, M. John Astely Master of the Iewell house, M. Bernard Hampton, M. Nicasius, and J. Of which number, the most part were of hir Maiesties most honourable priuie Counsell, and the reast seruing hir in verie good place. I was glad than, and do reioice yet to remember,
that my chance was so happie, to be there that day, in the companie of so manie wise & good men togither, as hardly than could haue beene piked out againe, out of all England beside.

M. Secretarie hath this accustomed maner, though his head be neuer so full of most weightie affaires of the Realme, yet, at diner time he doth seeme to lay them alwaies aside: and findeth euer fitte occasion to taulke pleasantlie of other matters, but most gladlie of some matter of learning: wherein, he will
curteslie heare the minde of the meanest at his Table.

Not long after our sitting doune, I haue strange newes brought me, sayth M. Secretarie, this morning, that diuerse Scholers of Eaton, be runne awaie from the Schole, for feare of beating. Whereupon, M. //M. Secretarie tooke occasion, to wishe, that some //rie.
more discretion were in many Scholemasters, in vsing correction, than commonlie there is. Who many times, punishe rather, the weakenes of nature, than the fault of the Scholer. Whereby, many Scholers, that might else proue well, be driuen to hate learning, before they knowe, what learning meaneth: and so, are made willing to forsake their booke, and be glad to be put to any other kinde of liuing.

M. Peter, as one somewhat seuere of nature, said plainlie, M. Peter. // that the Rodde onelie, was the sworde, that must keepe, the Schole in obedience, and the Scholer M. Wotton.
in good order. M. Wotton, á man milde of nature, with soft voice, and fewe wordes, inclined to M. Secretaries
iudgement, and said, in mine opinion, the Scholehouse should be in deede, as it is called by name,
the house of playe and pleasure, and not of feare Plato de and bondage: and as I do remember, so saith
Socrates in one place of Plato. And therefore, if a Rodde carie the feare of à Sworde, it is no maruell, if those
that be fearefull of nature, chose rather to forsake the Plaie, than to stand alwaies within the feare of a Sworde in a fonde mans handling. M. Mason, after his maner, was M. Mason.
// verie merie with both parties, pleasantlie playing, both, with the shrewde touches of many courste boyes, and with the small discretion of many leude Scholemasters. M. Haddon was fullie of M. Peters opinion, and said, that M. Haddon.
// the best scholemaster of our time, was the greatest beater, and named the Person. Though, quoth I, it
was his good fortune, to send from his Schole, // vnto the Vniuersitie, one of the best Scholers in
// deede of all our time, yet wise men do thinke, that that came so to passe, rather, by the great towardnes of the Scholer, than by the great beating of the Master: and whether this be true or no, you your selfe are best witnes. I said somewhat farder in the matter, how, and whie, yong children, were soner allured by loue, than driuen by beating, to atteyne good learning: wherein I was the bolder to say my minde, bicause M. Secretarie curteslie prouoked me thereunto: or else, in such à companie, and namelie in his præsence, my wonte is,
to be more willing, to vse mine eares, than to occupie my tonge.

Syr Walter Mildmaye, M. Astley, and the rest, said verie litle: onelie Syr Rich. Sackuill, said nothing at all. After dinner I went vp to read with the Queenes Maiestie. We red than togither in the Greke tongue, as I well remember. that noble Oration of Demosthenes against Æschines, for his false dealing in his Ambassage to king
Philip of Macedonie. Syr Rich. Sackuile came vp sone after: and finding me in hir Maiesties priuie chamber, he // Syr R.tooke me by the hand, & carying me to à // Sackuiles windoe, said, M. Ascham, I would not for à good
deale of monie, haue bene, this daie, absent from diner. Where, though I said nothing, yet I gaue
as good eare, and do consider as well the taulke, that passed, as any one did there. M. Secretarie said very
wisely, and most truely, that many yong wittes be driuen to hate learninge, before they know what learninge is. I can be good witnes to this my selfe: For à fond Scholemaster, before I was fullie fourtene yeare olde, draue me so, with feare of beating, from all loue of learninge, as nowe, when I know, what difference it is, to haue learninge, and to haue litle, or none at all, I feele it my greatest greife, and finde it my greatest hurte,
that euer came to me, that it was my so ill chance, to light vpon so lewde à Scholemaster. But seing it is but in vain, to lament thinges paste, and also wisdome to looke to thinges to cum, surely, God willinge, if God lend me life, I will make this my mishap, some occasion of good hap, to litle Robert Sackuile my sonnes sonne. For whose bringinge vp, I would gladlie, if it so please you, vse speciallie your good aduice. I heare saie, you haue à sonne, moch of his age: we wil deale thus togither. Point you out à Scholemaster, who by your order,
shall teache my sonne and yours, and for all the rest, I will prouide, yea though they three do cost me a couple of hundred poundes by yeare: and beside, you shall finde me as fast à
frend to you and yours, as perchance any you haue. Which promise, the worthie Ientleman surelie kept with me, vntill his dying daye.

We had than farther taulke togither, of bringing vp of children: of the nature, of quicke, and hard wittes:
of the right choice of à good witte: of Feare, and loue in teachinge children. We passed from
children and came to yonge men, namely, Ientlemen: we taulked of their to moch libertie, to liue as they lust: of their letting louse to sone, to ouer moch experience of ill, contrarie to the good order of many good olde common welthes of the Persians and Grekes: of witte gathered, and good fortune gotten, by some, onely by experience, without learning. And lastlie, he required of me verie earnestlie, to shewe, what I thought of the common goinge of Englishe men into Italie. But, sayth he, bicause this place, and this tyme, will not suffer
so long taulke, as these good matters require, therefore I pray you, at my request, and at your leysure, put in some order of writing, the cheife pointes of this our taulke, concerning the right order of teachinge, and honestie of liuing, for the good bringing vp of children & yong men. And surelie, beside contentinge me, you shall both please and profit verie many others. I made some excuse by lacke of habilitie, and weakenes
of bodie: well, sayth he, I am not now to learne, what you can do. Our deare frende, good M. Goodricke, whose iudgement I could well beleue, did once for all, satisfye me fullie therein. Againe, I heard you say, not long agoe, that you may thanke Syr John Cheke, for all the learninge you haue: And I know verie well my selfe, that you did teach the Quene. And therefore seing God did so blesse you, to make you the Scholer of the best Master, and also the Scholemaster of the best Scholer, that euer were in our tyme, surelie, you should please
God, benefite your countrie, & honest your owne name, if you would take the paines, to impart to others, what you learned of soch à Master, and how ye taught such à scholer. And, in vttering the stuffe ye receiued of the one, in declaring the order ye tooke with the other, ye shall neuer lacke, neither matter, nor maner, what to write, nor how to write in this kinde of Argument.

I beginning some farther excuse, sodeinlie was called to cum to the Queene. The night following, I slept litle, my
head was so full of this our former taulke, and I so mindefull, somewhat to satisfie the honest request of so deare à frend, I thought to præpare some litle treatise for a New yeares gift that Christmas. But, as it chanceth to busie builders, so, in building thys my poore Scholehouse (the rather bicause the forme of it is somewhat new, and differing from others) the worke

Zuletzt von Elke am Fr 04 Apr 2008, 17:04 bearbeitet; insgesamt 2-mal bearbeitet
Nach oben Nach unten
http://www.borreraig.co.uk
Elkie

BeitragThema: Teil 2   Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster I_icon_minitimeFr 04 Apr 2008, 15:09

Zitat :
rose dailie higher and wider, than I thought it would at the beginninge.
And though it appeare now, and be in verie deede, but a small cotage, poore for the stuffe, and rude for the workemanship, yet in going forward, I found the site so good, as I was lothe to
giue it ouer, but the making so costlie, outreaching my habilitie, as many tymes I wished, that some one of those three, my deare frendes, with full pursses, Syr Tho. Smithe, M. // {Smith.
Haddon, or M. Watson, had had the doing of it. // M. {Haddon.

Yet, neuerthelesse, I my selfe, spending gladlie // {Watson.that litle, that I gatte at home by good Syr Iohn // Syr I.Cheke, and that that I borrowed abroad of my // Cheke.
frend Sturmius, beside somewhat that was left me // I. Sturmius.in Reuersion by my olde Masters, Plato, Aristotle, // Plato.and Cicero, I haue at last patched it vp, as I could, // Aristotle.
and as you see. If the matter be meane, and meanly handled, // Cicero.

I pray you beare, both with me, and it: for neuer worke went vp in worse wether, with mo lettes and stoppes, than this poore Scholehouse of mine. Westminster Hall can beare some witnesse, beside moch weakenes of bodie, but more trouble of minde, by some such sores, as greue me to toche them my selfe, and therefore I purpose not to open them to others. And, in middes of outward iniuries, and inward cares, to encrease them withall, good Syr Rich. Sackuile dieth, that worthie Ientleman: That earnest // Syr R. fauorer and furtherer of Gods true Religion: // Sackuill.

That faithfull Seruitor to his Prince and Countrie: A louer of learning, & all learned men: Wise in all doinges: Curtesse to all persons: shewing spite to none: doing good to many: and as I well found, to me so fast à frend, as I neuer lost the like before. Whan he was gone, my hart was dead. There was
not one, that woare à blacke gowne for him, who caried à heuier hart for him, than I. Whan he was gone, I cast this booke àwaie: I could not looke vpon it, but with weping eyes, in remembring him, who was the onelie setter on, to do it, and would haue bene, not onelie à glad commender of it, but also
à sure and certaine comfort, to me and mine, for it. Almost two yeares togither, this booke lay scattered, and neglected, and had bene quite giuen ouer of me, if the goodnesse of one
had not giuen me some life and spirite againe. God, the mouer of goodnesse, prosper alwaies him & his, as he hath many times comforted me and mine, and, I trust to God, shall comfort more and more. Of whom, most iustlie I may saie, and verie oft, and alwaies gladlie, I am wont to say, that sweete verse of Sophocles, spoken by Oedipus to worthie Theseus.

// echo [gar] acho dia se, kouk allon broton.
//

Thys hope hath helped me to end this booke: which, if he allowe, I shall thinke my labours well imployed, and shall not moch æsteme the misliking of any others. And I trust, he shall thinke the better of it, bicause he shall finde the best part thereof, to cum out of his Schole, whom he, of all men loued
and liked best.

Yet some men, frendly enough of nature, but of small iudgement in learninge, do thinke, I take to moch paines, and Plato in // spend to moch time, in settinge forth these // childrens affaires. But those good men were // neuer brought vp in Socrates Schole, who saith // plainlie, that no man goeth àbout à more godlie // purpose, than he that is mindfull of the good // bringing vp, both of hys owne, and other mens // children. //
// Therfore, I trust, good and wise men, will // thinke well of this my doing. And of other, that // thinke otherwise, I will thinke my selfe, they are // but men, to be pardoned for their follie, and // pitied for their ignoraunce. //

In writing this booke, I haue had earnest respecte to three speciall pointes, trothe of Religion, honestie in liuing, right order in learning. In which three waies, I praie God, my poore children may diligently waulke: for whose sake, as nature moued, and reason required, and necessitie also somewhat
compelled, I was the willinger to take these paines.

For, seing at my death, I am not like to leaue them any great store of liuing, therefore in my life time, I thought good to bequeath vnto them, in this litle booke, as in my Will and Testament, the right waie to good learning: which if they followe, with the feare of God, they shall verie well cum to sufficiencie of liuinge.

I wishe also, with all my hart, that yong M. Rob. Sackuille, may take that fructe of this labor, that his worthie Grauntfather purposed he should haue done: And if any other do take, either proffet, or pleasure hereby, they haue cause to thanke M. Robert Sackuille, for whom speciallie this my scholemaster was prouided.

And one thing I would haue the Reader consider in readinge this booke, that bicause, no scholemaster hath charge of any childe, before he enter into hys Schole, therefore I leauing all former care, of their good bringing vp, to wise and good Parentes, as à matter not belonging to the Scholemaster, I do appoynt thys my Scholemaster, than, and there to begin, where his office and charge beginneth. Which charge lasteth not long, but vntill the Scholer be made hable to go to the Vniuersitie, to procede in Logike, Rhetoricke, and other kindes of learning.

Yet if my Scholemaster, for loue he beareth to hys Scholer, shall teach hym somewhat for hys furtherance, and better iudgement in learning, that may serue him seuen yeare after in the Vniuersitie, he doth hys Scholer no more wrong, nor deserueth no worse name therby, than he doth in London, who sellinge silke or cloth vnto his frend, doth giue hym better measure, than either hys promise or bargaine was.

Farewell in Christ.
Nach oben Nach unten
Elkie

BeitragThema: beim Überfliegen   Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster I_icon_minitimeFr 04 Apr 2008, 17:14

muss ich sagen, der Herr ist mir auch angenehm :-) Ich bin nur drauf gekommen nach ihm zu suchen, weil Lymond irgendwas von ihm zitiert und Gideon das bemerkt. Es ist halt wichtig, einen gewissen gemeinsamen Background zu haben, um sich gut zu verstehen :-)
Nach oben Nach unten
Gesponserte Inhalte

BeitragThema: Re: Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster   Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster I_icon_minitime

Nach oben Nach unten

Roger Ascham, The Scholemaster
Seite 1 von 1